On Friday, 05/22/15, the UCLA chapters of the American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES), the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE), and the Society of Latino Engineers and Scientists (SOLES), held their 4th Annual Tri-Org Banquet, to honor this year’s graduates and to install the officers for the 2015-16 academic year. The banquet was held at the Carnesale Commons: Palisades Ballroom. AISES External Vice-President Justine Figuerres and NSBE Vice-President Morolake Omoya served as Co-Mistresses of Ceremony, at the event.
The keynote address was delivered by Mr. S. Gordon Moore, Jr., Executive Director for Student Diversity & Inclusion at Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta, Georgia. Mr. Moore truly delighted those in attendance with a relevant, relatable, thought-provoking, and inspirational address that will surely continue to resonate with the audience.
The Tri-Org banquet was supported by the following companies: Boeing, Chevron, Intel, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Phillips 66, Southern California Edison, and Xerox, as well as by the UCLA Center for Excellence in Engineering and Diversity (CEED). CEED Director Enrique (Rick) Ainsworth, CEED Counselor Sherry Hormozi, Dr. Henry Burton, Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, and Dr. William Goodin from the UCLA School of Engineering Office of External Affairs, were also in attendance. And the night was made even more special as 7 CEED Alumni came to participate in the festivities.
The night truly belonged to the 17 graduates, who were honored at the banquet. Each of them received a graduation Stoll bearing the Tri-Org logo.
While all of the graduates who were recognized by the Tri-Org were unable to attend the celebration, their names can be found below:
- Jesus Aguilar, BS, Aerospace Engineering
- Jaime Avila, BS, Mechanical Engineering
- Thomas Cueva, BS, Chemical Engineering
- Felicia Figuerres, BS, Electrical Engineering
- Giuliano Gabella, BS, Electrical Engineering
- Jose Jacobo, MS, Mechanical Engineering
- Andre Kosi, BS, Electrical Engineering
- Edward Lopez, BS, Aerospace Engineering
- Amanda Lujan, BS, Civil Engineering
- Cristian Manuel, BS, Computer Science
- Edward McAboy, BS, Chemical Engineering
- Jesus Mendez, BS, Electrical Engineering
- Audrey Pool O’Neal, PhD, Mechanical Engineering
- Julian Patterson, BS, Mechanical Engineering
- Anthony Pimentel, BS, Computer Science
- Dylan Rodarte, BS, Aerospace Engineering
- Henry Sommer, BS, Mechanical Engineering
- Carlos Sotelo, BS, Computer Science and Engineering
- Gabriel Toral, BS, Electrical Engineering
- Eduardo Urrego, BS, Electrical Engineering
- Jesus Vargas, BS, Chemical Engineering
- Cory Williams, BS, Chemical Engineering
- Isaac Zapata, BS, Mechanical Engineering
In addition to honoring this year’s graduates, each of the newly elected officers for AISES, NSBE and SOLES, who will perform their duties during the 2015-16 academic year, took their oath of office, that was administered by Rick Ainsworth.
The Tri-Org membership would like to thank our keynote speaker, corporate supporters, UCLA CEED, faculty and staff, as well as family members, alumni and friends who attended the 4th Annual Tri-Org Banquet. We would also like to congratulate all of the graduates and wish them continued success in all of their future endeavors.
Photographs by Anthony S. Johnson